On July 19, 2013, the Department of Justice entered into a settlement agreement with the Town of Poestenkill, New York (the Town), under title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
The Department of Justice initiated a compliance review of the Town in August 2010, as part of Project Civic Access, a Departmental initiative to ensure greater access for people with disabilities to local government programs, services, activities, and facilities. On-site survey of the Town’s buildings, programs, and services was conducted in November 2010.
Facilities covered by the agreement include: Town Hall and Poestenkill Library. The Department also reviewed the Town’s employment policies, sidewalks, website, emergency management and policies, general effective communications policy.
The settlement agreement specifies the modifications that the Town Poestenkill will make to its programs, services, and facilities. The Town will:
- make physical modifications to its facilities so that parking, routes into the buildings, entrances, public telephones, restrooms, service counters, and drinking fountains are accessible to people with disabilities; and assembly areas have the required wheelchair and companion seating;
- post, publish, and distribute a notice to inform members of the public of the provisions of title II and their applicability to the Town’s programs, services, and activities;
- train staff in using the New York State relay service for telephone communications;
- develop a method for providing emergency management policies and procedures for persons with disabilities, including preparation, notification, response, and clean-up;
- develop a method for providing information for interested persons with disabilities concerning the existence and location of the Town’s accessible services, activities, and programs;
- establish, implement, and post online a policy that the Town’s web pages be accessible, create a process for implementation, and ensure that all new and modified web pages are accessible; and
- implement a plan for the accessibility of sidewalks and curb cuts throughout the Town.