I am a California Registered Architect and a Certified Access Specialist with over 27 years of professional experience in the design and construction industry with focus on access compliance. I have worked professionally as project manager, project architect, access compliance manager and consultant in hundreds of projects ranging in size and complexity from a single room renovation to multi-billion dollar urban planning/design projects. I am currently a senior project manager at Vanir Construction Management in Sacramento, California, working as access compliance manager and lead CASp on a $2 billion State-wide program to build new and renovate correctional facilities throughout the state for California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in response to ADA litigations. Just before joining Vanir in 2014, I was a project manager and senior architect at Gensler, serving as their firm-wide accessibility leader. I hold a BFA degree in Architecture/Environmental Design from Parsons School of Design.
Qualifications for Office
Accessibility for me like many other architects has always been an integral part of my profession for nearly three decades. Access compliance has been the focus of my profession in the past ten years. I have provided seminars and continuing education presentations for architects, designers, project/construction managers and property managers throughout California. For that reason, I feel I am uniquely qualified for the CASI position of Special Programs Chairman relative to coordinating continuing education for CASI seminars and presentations. Seminar is a unique event that takes into account the venue, timing (relative to significant events), and most importantly the speaker. I take great pride and responsibility in coordinating such events because I myself have been an avid participant as well as a speaker in such seminars and presentations. I am also uniquely qualified for the position because of my professional background of nurturing staff members and providing continuing education for professionals which I very much enjoy doing.
Goals I Hope to Achieve if Elected
If elected as the Chair of Special Programs for continuing education, I would make sure the quality of education is of high caliber, including the selection of the speaker, selection of the topic, and to make the events more inviting so that it attracts more participants. Perhaps try something new instead of the same presentation format we’ve been having for past few years, such as teaming up with other organizations at certain times of the year such as with local chapters of AIA.
Certifications and Other Association Involvement
I have been a member of CASI since 2013 and have participated in annual seminars and General Meetings at Southern California. I have been also actively involved in AIA for the last couple of decades, mainly in Orange County and San Diego Chapters in the last few years. I am regularly invited by AIA SD Chapter to speak on ADA continuing education seminars. Since moving to Sacramento recently, I joined the AIA Central Valley Chapter and hope to get involved in its events. I also participate more in the monthly access code discussion at DSA in Sacramento now that I am closer to Sacramento.
Accreditations & Certifications:
- Registered Architect: California Architects Board, State of California
- Certified Access Specialist: Division of the State Architect, State of California
- Certified Interior Designer (CID): California Council for Interior Design Certification (CCIDC), National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ)
- Construction Document Technologist (CDT): Construction Specifications Institute
- LEED Accredited Professional: US Green Building Council
- License General Contractor: Contractors State License Board, State of California
Affiliated Professional Organizations:
- American Institute of Architects: Professional Member, AIA
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, Professional Member, NCARB
- Certified Access Specialist Institute: CASp Member
- American Society of Interior Designers: Professional Member, ASID
- Construction Specifications Institute: Professional Member, CSI
- American Correctional Association: Professional Member, ACA
- National Trust for Historic Preservation: Member at Large, NTHP